StudyConnect.com Forum Study Connect Students       

Go Back   StudyConnect.com Forum > Study in Australia - General Topics > Australian Universities
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old July 9th, 2008, 09:53 AM

Default Top 20 universities of Australia

I want to know the official list of the top 20 universities in Australia. That gives a good selection to choose from. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old August 23rd, 2010, 09:22 PM
ShaliniSathnur

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottleboy View Post
I want to know the official list of the top 20 universities in Australia. That gives a good selection to choose from. Thanks.
Australian National University 1 (17)
University of Sydney =2 (=36)
University of Melbourne =2 (=36)
University of Queensland 4 (41)
Monash University 5 (45)
UNSW 6 (47)
University of Adelaide 7 (81)
University of Western Australia 8 (84)
Macquarie University 9 (182)
RMIT 10 (223)
University of Technology Sydney 11 (232)
La Trobe University 12 (241)
Curtin University of Technology =13 (=244)
Queensland University of Technology =13 (=244)
University of Wollongong 15 (251)
Flinders University 16 (254)
University of Newcastle 17 (266)
Griffith University 18 (291)
University of South Australia 19 (295)
University of Tasmania 20 (326)
Deakin University =21 (=355)
James Cook University =21 (=355)

I would add Swinburne university to this list.......
Old August 28th, 2010, 08:46 PM

Unless you are leaving high school and looking at a grad position at 21-22 after completing a degree the ratings is irrelavent.
Old August 30th, 2010, 08:16 AM

does the ratings really matter .in getting jobs or not
Old September 16th, 2011, 11:27 PM

Default Rankings are rubbish

Looking at one of the best unis for engineering in the world (supposedly) we have MIT in the US. Yet if you download their Opencourse ware lectures (also on Youtube) you can see that the quality of many of the lectures is poor. A university degree has always been about what you put into your degree personally. Almost anyone can obtain a degree by plagiarising/paying for lots of tutoring/handing in alternative assesement tasks to pass.

If you have a passion for a subject pick a uni which teaches your course really well. If you want an academic career then chose a uni which also has published research in you area.

As they say, 'cream will always rise to the top'. If you are an exceptional student you will be able to tranfer to another uni later anyway.

The unis simply want prospective students to fall into the trap of thinking 'if only I attend this uni then I will have a guaranteed job for life at a great employer'. The only country I know where this thinking will work is in Japan where students are driven insane by the competition to enter the 'top' university. The ironic thing is that once the students enter the university they get lazy and do little work (in general) because they know the name of the uni will get them a job. Not my idea of a good educational system.

Even when Isaac Newton attended uni the professors were poor teachers in general. But at least at uni you will be around smart people.
Sponsored Links