StudyConnect.com Forum Study Connect Students       

Go Back   StudyConnect.com Forum > Australian Schools Areas of Study > Pharmacy Schools Australia APEC Study Forum
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old August 17th, 2008, 11:14 PM

Default the books i used

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautam View Post
hi
can you plase give me the name of book should i refer fro every subject for stage-1 exam?
I only bought one book during the review
It is COMPREHENSIVE PHARMACY REVIEW by Leon Shargel et.al This one i read and studied almost the entire book. it is a summary of essential topics in pharmacy. (except for the federal law and pharmacoeconomics because they are for FPGEE/NAPLEX and this book is really intended for those exam candidates)

others books were the one I already bought during my college days (they are not the latest edition)

for pharmacology: Lippincott’s Illustrated Reviews : Pharmacology and Basic & Clinical Pharmacology by Bertram Katzung

PHARMACEUTICAL CALCULATIONS by howard ansel and mitchell stoklosa

Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms and Drug Delivery Systems, by Ansel, Popovich and Allen Jr., Lippincott Williams and Wilkins.

Wilson and Gisvold’s Textbook of Organic Medicinal and Pharmaceutical Chemistry, ed. by Block and Beale, Lippincott Williams and Wilkins. (only used this for checking the chemical structures of each drug class if they are almost the same)

Handbook of Basic Pharmacokinetics, W. A. Ritschel

PHYSICAL PHARMACY by alfred martin

CLINICAL SKILLS FOR PHARMACISTS by karen tietze

AS WELL AS BOOKS FOR organic chemistry, anatomy and physiology and biochemistry. (forgot the authors but any books about this topic will do)

I ALSO FIND Remington The Science and Practice of Pharmacy useful because all subjects in pharmacy practice are included in this book. we call it in school "the bible of pharmacists"

I suggest that you use the books you already have, especially if you think that they are not yet obsolete.

FROM APC'S INFORMATION HANDBOOK FOR STREAM A APPLICANTS, IT INDICATED THE FOLLOWING SCOPE OF STAGE 1 EXAM AND SUGGESTED THE FOLLOWING BOOKS. however, it also indicated that, "The references recommended below are suggestions to assist revision. There should be
NO expectation that the examinations will be specifically based on these, or any other texts."

Paper 1
Pharmaceutical Chemistry
Organic Chemistry: nomenclature, drug class recognition, reaction types, functional group
reactivity, drug stability, acid base reactions, chelation agents.
Stereochemistry: nomenclature, optical activity, geometric isomerism, conformation.
Physical Chemistry: kinetics, acid base reactions, phase equilibria, radio chemistry.
Analytical Chemistry: spectroscopy, redox reactions, assay techniques, diagnostic agents.
Biochemistry: nomenclature, structures, biochemical classes, thermodynamics,
biochemical pathways.
Medicinal chemistry: structure activity relationships, drug presentation and delivery, drug
formulation and stability, drug metabolism, mechanism of drug action, modern drug
development, and absorption, distribution and elimination of drugs.
Suggested References:
• Brown, G I Introduction to physical chemistry 3rd Edn, Longman, 1983.
• Foye, W O Principles of medicinal chemistry 4th Edn Lea & Febiger, 1995.
• Holum, J R Fundamentals of general, organic and biological chemistry 5th Edn,
Wiley, 1995.
• Lehninger, A L Principles of biochemistry 4th Edn, Worth, 2005.
• Murray, R K & others Harper’s biochemistry 24th Edn, Appleton & Lange, 1996.
• Nogrady, T Medicinal chemistry - a biochemical approach 2nd Edn Oxford U.P.,

Pharmacology and Physiology
Pharmacology: principles of drug action, drug interactions, receptor pharmacology,
autonomic transmission, endocrine pharmacology, cardiovascular pharmacology, antiinflammatory
agents and analgesics, antibiotics, diuretics, local and general anaesthetics,
vitamins, drugs affecting nutritional and metabolic function, drugs affecting the central
nervous system.
Chemotherapy: antibacterial, antiviral, antifungal, antiprotozoal, anthelmintic and
anticancer drugs.
Toxicology: common side effects and signs of toxicity.
Pathophysiology: alteration of physiological processes by drugs or disease states.
General Physiology: central nervous, digestive, cardiovascular, lymphatic, nervous,
respiratory, urinary, endocrine and reproductive systems and their integration; blood and
other body fluids.
Suggested references:
• Hardman, JG and Limbird LE Goodman and Gilman’s The pharmacological basis
of therapeutics 11th Edn, McGraw-Hill, 2006.
• Katzung, BG Basic and clinical pharmacology 10th Edn, Lange, 2007.
• McKenna, BR and Callander, R Illustrated physiology 6th Edn, Churchill
Livingstone, 1997.
• Marieb, E N Human anatomy and physiology 5th Edn Benjamin/Cummings, 2000.
• Rang N P and Dale M Pharmacology 6th Edn, Churchill Livingstone, 2007.
Candidates Information Handbook – Stream A August 2008 Page 11 of 65
• Vander, A J & others Human physiology 8th Edn, McGraw-Hill, 2001.

Paper 2
Pharmaceutics
Physical pharmacy: solvents, types of preparation, solutions, suspensions, emulsions.
Biopharmaceutics: dissolution, drug absorption, bioavailability and bioequivalence, drug
interactions with a biopharmaceutical basis.
Pharmacokinetics: biological half-life, elimination rate constants, apparent volume of
distribution, clearance, steady state considerations, drug protein binding, relevant
calculations.
Pharmaceutical microbiology: preservation, antimicrobial agents, sterilisation technology.
Formulation: formulation of drugs for various routes of administration, parenteral dose
forms, controlled release preparations, evaluation of particular dose forms.
Suggested references:
• Aulton, M E(Ed) Pharmaceutics, the science of dosage form design 3rd Edition,
Churchill Livingstone,1 2007.
• Florence, A T & Attwood D Physicochemical principles of pharmacy 4th Edn,
Macmillan, 2005.
• Gibaldi, M Biopharmaceutics and clinical pharmacokinetics 4th Edn, Lea and
Febiger, 1991.
• Hugo, W B and Russell A D Pharmaceutical microbiology Blackwell, 1999.
• Martin A N & others Physical pharmacy 4th Edn, Lea and Febiger, 1993.
• Rowland, M and Tozer, T N Clinical pharmacokinetics 3rd Edn Lea and Febiger,
• Shargel, L and Yu, ABC Applied pharmaceutics and pharmacokinetics 4th Edn,
Appleton & Lange, 1999.

Therapeutics
Calculations: dilutions, percentages, densities, sensitivity of balance, proportions,
isotonicity, milliequivalents/milliosmoles, buffers, dose calculations from body weight or
surface area, stability.
Posology: appropriate dosages and dosage regimens of common medications.
Prescriptions: adverse reactions, common contra-indications and indications, drug
interactions, patient counselling and advice.
Surgical dressings, appliances and drug delivery systems.
Over-the-counter (OTC) medications: non-prescription prescribing, diagnosis of minor
illness, rational OTC product selection, OTC drug information.
Clinical pharmacy and therapeutics: problem solving, drug management of disease
states, clinical relevance of biochemical parameters.
Suggested references:
• Herfindal E, Gourley D & Hart LL (eds) Clinical pharmacy and therapeutics 5th
Edn Williams and Wilkins, 1992.
Candidates Information Handbook – Stream A August 2008 Page 12 of 65
• Pharmaceutical Society of Australia, Counselling guide for non-prescription
medicines, 2000
• Pharmaceutical Society of Australia, Professional practice standards, 1999
• Society of Hospital Pharmacists of Australia, Practice standards and definitions,
Version 3, 2006

Other General Texts
• Australian Medicines Handbook (AMH) 2007
• Australian Prescriber: http://www.australianprescriber.com
• Martindale: The extra pharmacopoeia: The Pharmaceutical Press, London.
• Australian pharmaceutical formulary and handbook: (APF) (available from the
Pharmaceutical Society of Australia at www.psa.org.au). (Also contains a list of
useful websites)
• Pathology and therapeutics for pharmacists: (available from the Pharmaceutical
Society of Australia).

i just want to give a comment about studying. in reviewing, this should serve as a "refresher" and not studying/reading the entire book. or else your brain will be exhausted. I only used my textbooks if i found one topic is not clear and i need to understand it more. Also trust your "retained knowledge" (the ones you learned while earning the pharmacy degree"
Sponsored Links
Old August 18th, 2008, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aika View Post
I passed the stage 1 exam in sep 2007.
Now I am preparing the requirements for PR application,, probably il be able to lodge it within this month (hopeful)
1. First of all, SACRIFICE, deprive yourself with all the pleasures (such as television, going out, dating, parties...)
2. FAMILIARITY-It is hard to memorize all the chemical structures, study 10 drugs a day. What I did is each day I draw 10 structures (from the Comprehensive Pharmacy Review by shargel) and I stick in the wall of my bedroom so that when I wake up I can see it and before going to sleep. It is all about familiarity. I also got this style from Jose Rizal (National Hero of Philippines). He was a linguistic. He memorizes 10 words a day in the country where he stays (Just a short trivia).
3. EAT RIGHT - Of course, nourish your brain.
4. HOW TO FIGHT SLEEP? I kept on writing and outlining the things I need to study so that I will not feel sleepy when there is physical effort. I did not mean yopu won't sleep at all, but reading makes you sleepy (like a long acting benzodiazepines)
5. SET A TIME TABLE - Be sure you finished the topics you planned to study for each day, or else you will lose time hardly noticed the BIG DAY has come.
6. PRACTICE - practice makes perfect! To improve your calculation skills, answer practice problems daily. It will also make you faster and more accurate. Remember that the calculation problems are difficult because it takes series of solutions before you can get the answer. (the truth is I guess some of the answers because I had no time)
6. PRAY - Have Faith in the divine power of God and you wil be blessed.

STUDY MATERIALS
I am very fortunate to be able to attend a Review Class. (I don't know if there is such thing in other countries)
We know that after graduation and work as a pharmacist, there are some things that we have forgotten. agree? It is a sort of refresher course. the instructors are also from universities, some of them are also pharmacists.
I attended a 17 sunday classes and I also started to study the Comprehensive Pharmacy Review by Shargel. At the same time, I am also reading Lippincotts Pharmacology (the red book)
If you are a still doubtful, consult some topics in the Remington(RPS), Clinical Pharmacology by Katsung

To test my knowledge, I start to answer review questions Appleton, Comprehensive Pharmacy review questions, Manan-Shroff, and Generali (I only borrowed these hehe)

Good Luck to all candidates!
first of all congratulation fro ur sucess...well..i m pharmacist from india.just now i came to australia on dependent visa...right now i m in melbourne..i want to give apec exam..but i dont know anything regarding that..so pls help me out..u can send me email on khyati_1314@yahoo.com
Old August 25th, 2008, 01:22 AM

Quote:
I only bought one book during the review
It is COMPREHENSIVE PHARMACY REVIEW by Leon Shargel et.al This one i read and studied almost the entire book. it is a summary of essential topics in pharmacy. (except for the federal law and pharmacoeconomics because they are for FPGEE/NAPLEX and this book is really intended for those exam candidates)

others books were the one I already bought during my college days (they are not the latest edition)

for pharmacology: Lippincott’s Illustrated Reviews : Pharmacology and Basic & Clinical Pharmacology by Bertram Katzung

PHARMACEUTICAL CALCULATIONS by howard ansel and mitchell stoklosa

Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms and Drug Delivery Systems, by Ansel, Popovich and Allen Jr., Lippincott Williams and Wilkins.

Wilson and Gisvold’s Textbook of Organic Medicinal and Pharmaceutical Chemistry, ed. by Block and Beale, Lippincott Williams and Wilkins. (only used this for checking the chemical structures of each drug class if they are almost the same)

Handbook of Basic Pharmacokinetics, W. A. Ritschel

PHYSICAL PHARMACY by alfred martin

CLINICAL SKILLS FOR PHARMACISTS by karen tietze

AS WELL AS BOOKS FOR organic chemistry, anatomy and physiology and biochemistry. (forgot the authors but any books about this topic will do)

I ALSO FIND Remington The Science and Practice of Pharmacy useful because all subjects in pharmacy practice are included in this book. we call it in school "the bible of pharmacists"

I suggest that you use the books you already have, especially if you think that they are not yet obsolete.

FROM APC'S INFORMATION HANDBOOK FOR STREAM A APPLICANTS, IT INDICATED THE FOLLOWING SCOPE OF STAGE 1 EXAM AND SUGGESTED THE FOLLOWING BOOKS. however, it also indicated that, "The references recommended below are suggestions to assist revision. There should be
NO expectation that the examinations will be specifically based on these, or any other texts."

Paper 1
Pharmaceutical Chemistry
Organic Chemistry: nomenclature, drug class recognition, reaction types, functional group
reactivity, drug stability, acid base reactions, chelation agents.
Stereochemistry: nomenclature, optical activity, geometric isomerism, conformation.
Physical Chemistry: kinetics, acid base reactions, phase equilibria, radio chemistry.
Analytical Chemistry: spectroscopy, redox reactions, assay techniques, diagnostic agents.
Biochemistry: nomenclature, structures, biochemical classes, thermodynamics,
biochemical pathways.
Medicinal chemistry: structure activity relationships, drug presentation and delivery, drug
formulation and stability, drug metabolism, mechanism of drug action, modern drug
development, and absorption, distribution and elimination of drugs.
Suggested References:
• Brown, G I Introduction to physical chemistry 3rd Edn, Longman, 1983.
• Foye, W O Principles of medicinal chemistry 4th Edn Lea & Febiger, 1995.
• Holum, J R Fundamentals of general, organic and biological chemistry 5th Edn,
Wiley, 1995.
• Lehninger, A L Principles of biochemistry 4th Edn, Worth, 2005.
• Murray, R K & others Harper’s biochemistry 24th Edn, Appleton & Lange, 1996.
• Nogrady, T Medicinal chemistry - a biochemical approach 2nd Edn Oxford U.P.,

Pharmacology and Physiology
Pharmacology: principles of drug action, drug interactions, receptor pharmacology,
autonomic transmission, endocrine pharmacology, cardiovascular pharmacology, antiinflammatory
agents and analgesics, antibiotics, diuretics, local and general anaesthetics,
vitamins, drugs affecting nutritional and metabolic function, drugs affecting the central
nervous system.
Chemotherapy: antibacterial, antiviral, antifungal, antiprotozoal, anthelmintic and
anticancer drugs.
Toxicology: common side effects and signs of toxicity.
Pathophysiology: alteration of physiological processes by drugs or disease states.
General Physiology: central nervous, digestive, cardiovascular, lymphatic, nervous,
respiratory, urinary, endocrine and reproductive systems and their integration; blood and
other body fluids.
Suggested references:
• Hardman, JG and Limbird LE Goodman and Gilman’s The pharmacological basis
of therapeutics 11th Edn, McGraw-Hill, 2006.
• Katzung, BG Basic and clinical pharmacology 10th Edn, Lange, 2007.
• McKenna, BR and Callander, R Illustrated physiology 6th Edn, Churchill
Livingstone, 1997.
• Marieb, E N Human anatomy and physiology 5th Edn Benjamin/Cummings, 2000.
• Rang N P and Dale M Pharmacology 6th Edn, Churchill Livingstone, 2007.
Candidates Information Handbook – Stream A August 2008 Page 11 of 65
• Vander, A J & others Human physiology 8th Edn, McGraw-Hill, 2001.

Paper 2
Pharmaceutics
Physical pharmacy: solvents, types of preparation, solutions, suspensions, emulsions.
Biopharmaceutics: dissolution, drug absorption, bioavailability and bioequivalence, drug
interactions with a biopharmaceutical basis.
Pharmacokinetics: biological half-life, elimination rate constants, apparent volume of
distribution, clearance, steady state considerations, drug protein binding, relevant
calculations.
Pharmaceutical microbiology: preservation, antimicrobial agents, sterilisation technology.
Formulation: formulation of drugs for various routes of administration, parenteral dose
forms, controlled release preparations, evaluation of particular dose forms.
Suggested references:
• Aulton, M E(Ed) Pharmaceutics, the science of dosage form design 3rd Edition,
Churchill Livingstone,1 2007.
• Florence, A T & Attwood D Physicochemical principles of pharmacy 4th Edn,
Macmillan, 2005.
• Gibaldi, M Biopharmaceutics and clinical pharmacokinetics 4th Edn, Lea and
Febiger, 1991.
• Hugo, W B and Russell A D Pharmaceutical microbiology Blackwell, 1999.
• Martin A N & others Physical pharmacy 4th Edn, Lea and Febiger, 1993.
• Rowland, M and Tozer, T N Clinical pharmacokinetics 3rd Edn Lea and Febiger,
• Shargel, L and Yu, ABC Applied pharmaceutics and pharmacokinetics 4th Edn,
Appleton & Lange, 1999.

Therapeutics
Calculations: dilutions, percentages, densities, sensitivity of balance, proportions,
isotonicity, milliequivalents/milliosmoles, buffers, dose calculations from body weight or
surface area, stability.
Posology: appropriate dosages and dosage regimens of common medications.
Prescriptions: adverse reactions, common contra-indications and indications, drug
interactions, patient counselling and advice.
Surgical dressings, appliances and drug delivery systems.
Over-the-counter (OTC) medications: non-prescription prescribing, diagnosis of minor
illness, rational OTC product selection, OTC drug information.
Clinical pharmacy and therapeutics: problem solving, drug management of disease
states, clinical relevance of biochemical parameters.
Suggested references:
• Herfindal E, Gourley D & Hart LL (eds) Clinical pharmacy and therapeutics 5th
Edn Williams and Wilkins, 1992.
Candidates Information Handbook – Stream A August 2008 Page 12 of 65
• Pharmaceutical Society of Australia, Counselling guide for non-prescription
medicines, 2000
• Pharmaceutical Society of Australia, Professional practice standards, 1999
• Society of Hospital Pharmacists of Australia, Practice standards and definitions,
Version 3, 2006

Other General Texts
• Australian Medicines Handbook (AMH) 2007
• Australian Prescriber: http://www.australianprescriber.com
• Martindale: The extra pharmacopoeia: The Pharmaceutical Press, London.
• Australian pharmaceutical formulary and handbook: (APF) (available from the
Pharmaceutical Society of Australia at www.psa.org.au). (Also contains a list of
useful websites)
• Pathology and therapeutics for pharmacists: (available from the Pharmaceutical
Society of Australia).

i just want to give a comment about studying. in reviewing, this should serve as a "refresher" and not studying/reading the entire book. or else your brain will be exhausted. I only used my textbooks if i found one topic is not clear and i need to understand it more. Also trust your "retained knowledge" (the ones you learned while earning the pharmacy degree"

Thank you so much for your deatiled explaintaion, as i have search all the possible thread to get these information. God bless you . My email add is tlychloe@hotmail.com will sit for march 2008 exam.
Old September 25th, 2008, 08:50 AM

Default References for Stage I exam

Quote:
I passed the stage 1 exam in sep 2007.
Now I am preparing the requirements for PR application,, probably il be able to lodge it within this month (hopeful)
1. First of all, SACRIFICE, deprive yourself with all the pleasures (such as television, going out, dating, parties...)
2. FAMILIARITY-It is hard to memorize all the chemical structures, study 10 drugs a day. What I did is each day I draw 10 structures (from the Comprehensive Pharmacy Review by shargel) and I stick in the wall of my bedroom so that when I wake up I can see it and before going to sleep. It is all about familiarity. I also got this style from Jose Rizal (National Hero of Philippines). He was a linguistic. He memorizes 10 words a day in the country where he stays (Just a short trivia).
3. EAT RIGHT - Of course, nourish your brain.
4. HOW TO FIGHT SLEEP? I kept on writing and outlining the things I need to study so that I will not feel sleepy when there is physical effort. I did not mean yopu won't sleep at all, but reading makes you sleepy (like a long acting benzodiazepines)
5. SET A TIME TABLE - Be sure you finished the topics you planned to study for each day, or else you will lose time hardly noticed the BIG DAY has come.
6. PRACTICE - practice makes perfect! To improve your calculation skills, answer practice problems daily. It will also make you faster and more accurate. Remember that the calculation problems are difficult because it takes series of solutions before you can get the answer. (the truth is I guess some of the answers because I had no time)
6. PRAY - Have Faith in the divine power of God and you wil be blessed.

STUDY MATERIALS
I am very fortunate to be able to attend a Review Class. (I don't know if there is such thing in other countries)
We know that after graduation and work as a pharmacist, there are some things that we have forgotten. agree? It is a sort of refresher course. the instructors are also from universities, some of them are also pharmacists.
I attended a 17 sunday classes and I also started to study the Comprehensive Pharmacy Review by Shargel. At the same time, I am also reading Lippincotts Pharmacology (the red book)
If you are a still doubtful, consult some topics in the Remington(RPS), Clinical Pharmacology by Katsung

To test my knowledge, I start to answer review questions Appleton, Comprehensive Pharmacy review questions, Manan-Shroff, and Generali (I only borrowed these hehe)

Good Luck to all candidates!
hi aika...If i depend on Comprehensive Pharmacy Review by Shargel ,it'll be enough for passing stage I exam??...you recomend any other references?!...thx in advance
Old September 26th, 2008, 06:37 AM

HI Aika,

well done in passing the exam?How was ur application for a visa?good luck to you, Australia is worth the wait anyway;-).

Ive read laboriously the thread in your post...but im am just wondering if you may, could u please summarize the reference books to use according to importance it wont be rational i guess to try to read all the reference books posted not to mention confusing.by the way I heard the author GENERALI good book too but so far havent read it anywhere in the thread (or must have missed it;-))..could u give me a feedback on that is it worth purchasing?

Thanks a lot..by the way i applaud ur patience in replying to all the queries...i guess one of the qualities all pharmacist have!
Old September 26th, 2008, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph_m_galal View Post
hi aika...If i depend on Comprehensive Pharmacy Review by Shargel ,it'll be enough for passing stage I exam??...you recomend any other references?!...thx in advance
Hi! you cannot depend CPR by shargel because it is too condensed. But it can serve as a guide. I studied that book together with my college textbooks. please take a look of the textbooks i mentioned before.

Do not limit yourself in the books that i mentioned. if you know other books worh studying, give it a try.

In my case, i only bought only one book, that is Comprehensive Pharmacy Review by Leon Shargel. The rest are all textbooks I already have since college.
Old September 27th, 2008, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khyati_1314 View Post
first of all congratulation fro ur sucess...well..i m pharmacist from india.just now i came to australia on dependent visa...right now i m in melbourne..i want to give apec exam..but i dont know anything regarding that..so pls help me out..u can send me email on khyati_1314@yahoo.com
check out the site of APC all the info is in this site. Im not so updated about the process because i took the exam last year. I think there are some changes in the qualifications for IELTS and other requirements. If you have questions, you can send them an e-mail. The APC staff are very accommodating to answer you as soon as possible.
Old September 27th, 2008, 03:03 PM

Default about pharma cology

hi aika,
lippincott if enough for pharmacology?or should i read other book also?
Old September 27th, 2008, 06:19 PM

Default Could u help us!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by khyati_1314 View Post
hi khyati....best wishes in your preparation to APEC...could i ask u some help for this group if u can do it!!....u said u stay now in melborne...could u tell if it's easy to find a supervised practice placment there or it's difficult!?....also if u can survey about the average salary of pre-registered pharmacist there!!...any one know please tell us!....thx in advance

btw..my e-mail is ph_m_galal@live.co.uk
Old September 27th, 2008, 06:43 PM

hi Aika, thx 4 replay....for my bad luck i can't go back to my study text book cause i'm not living now in my home country and i'm graduated 3 years ago...for this reason i'm trying to find the best references could help and off course no one have enough time with full time work to study all the mentioned references in stream A handbook you wrote up , for that i'm trying to get one or two references to focus on certain parts in it...u have any idea if APF(Australian Pharmacy formulatory) & AMH (Australian medicine handbook) could be better references comparing with CPR by shargel or not?!....thx in advance
Sponsored Links