StudyConnect.com Forum Study Connect Students       

Go Back   StudyConnect.com Forum > Study in Australia - General Topics > Study in Australia - ask a question
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old August 18th, 2012, 06:10 PM

Question Working after finishing studies

Hi there,

I've got a question with regards to working after finishing my studies.

I am a holder of student visa and I just finished my Master of Accounting at Macquarie Uni. I will graduate next month and will apply for a permanent visa (subclass 885) by December.

I'm just wondering. Now that I'm on holidays, can I work fulltime since I already finished my studies? Please note that I'm still on a student visa.

Any assistance will be highly appreciated.

Irish
Sponsored Links
Old August 18th, 2012, 11:04 PM

You cannot work more than 20 hours per week on a student visa. You would have to wait till you get your TR/PR if you want to work legally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish24 View Post
Hi there,

I've got a question with regards to working after finishing my studies.

I am a holder of student visa and I just finished my Master of Accounting at Macquarie Uni. I will graduate next month and will apply for a permanent visa (subclass 885) by December.

I'm just wondering. Now that I'm on holidays, can I work fulltime since I already finished my studies? Please note that I'm still on a student visa.

Any assistance will be highly appreciated.

Irish
Old August 19th, 2012, 12:18 AM

Question

Thanks for your reply.

I'm a bit confused because it says in the Macquarie Uni website that:

"Students who complete their course as scheduled have access to unrestricted permission to work during the period left on their visa, unless they have enrolled in further studies."

Link: http://mq.edu.au/policy/docs/visa_in...guideline.html

I still have up to 31st of August of next year before my student visa expires.

Please help.. What do you guys reckon on this?
Old August 19th, 2012, 08:08 AM

That only covers you until the graduation which is usually 2-3 weeks after you finished. If your visa expires next year - you have changed something in your study program to shorten your time at the university and as such your visa expiry should have reflected your new completion date (and you were required to notify the immigration department about this). Failure to do this will effect your visa you are applying for now - i.e. you lied to them before so why would they give you a new visa.
Old August 19th, 2012, 08:43 AM

Exclamation

I didn't change anything on my studies. That's primarily because my COE is one year longer than my real completion date.

The completion date as per my COE is 30/06/2013. But my real completion date is last month. I already notified Macquarie university that my COE is wrong and they said it wouldn't be a problem because right after I finish my studies, they'll cancel my COE. But I don't know what should i do for my student visa.

So I have the following questions:

1. I will apply for PR on December. For how many months after the completion date usually the student visa expires?

2. Who should I talk to about the cancellation of visa first, my uni or the immigration first?

Thanks for the assistance.
Old August 24th, 2012, 10:42 PM

Usually universities organize immigration seminars on campus for students many times during the year. I'm on a two year Masters course,h ave arrived in Australia 2 months ago and have seen three Immigration Seminars being organized. I think if I were you I would be asking my university for advice.

Quote:
I didn't change anything on my studies. That's primarily because my COE is one year longer than my real completion date.

The completion date as per my COE is 30/06/2013. But my real completion date is last month. I already notified Macquarie university that my COE is wrong and they said it wouldn't be a problem because right after I finish my studies, they'll cancel my COE. But I don't know what should i do for my student visa.

1. I will apply for PR on December. For how many months after the completion date usually the student visa expires?

2. Who should I talk to about the cancellation of visa first, my uni or the immigration first?

Old August 25th, 2012, 05:15 AM

Quote:

Hi,

Since your original COE had a wrong finishing date and now you have finished your studies year in advance of your visa and you are interested in applying for PR which should be within 6 months of your graduation, I would suggest that you should start preparing case for applying for PR. Currently have a legal status to stay in Australia and ideally you should try to file your application at earliest.

It is not uncommon where students finish their studies before their visa expires. You have already finished your studies and if university is going to cancel your COE which they have to since it has another one year shown in It. Your should contact DIAC and apply for a visitor visa which is very likely that you will be granted. Recent graduates can easily get it and it can be further extended.
Sponsored Links