StudyConnect.com Forum Study Connect Students       

Go Back   StudyConnect.com Forum > Australian Schools Areas of Study > Law Schools Australia - LLB LLM JD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old November 12th, 2010, 04:00 PM

Default Vic Uni Law or RMIT paralegal?

Hey guys,

I've read some really interesting stuff on this forum, I'm amazed I haven't found it before. Basically, I did year 12 last year, got pretty good results but decided to do a Music Business course in Box Hill. I'm regretting that decision now, and I'm thinking of going into Law. I did Legal Studies in year 11 & 12, loved it, and got great results from it, so I'm pretty sure that if I'm stimulated enough by the course I'll obtain great results by studying law.

The thing is, I really don't want to study far from home, so I really want to study in the city. First, I was looking into RMIT's two legal related courses, the Criminal Justice Administration Course (http://www.rmit.edu.au/browse;ID=BP023) and the Bachelor of Social Science (Legal and Dispute Studies) found here: http://www.rmit.edu.au/browse;ID=BP204

I thought particularly the second one would suit me because I'm not sure if I want to be a lawyer, I think I'd be just fine with being a paralegal. But unfortunately I'm an extremely indecisive person, and I fear that I may change my mind and want to do a real law degree.

In terms of doing this, I'm considering Vic Uni because its in the city. So basically, I have two questions. Firstly, does anyone do law at Vic Uni? If so, is it satisfying, enjoyable, etc?

And lastly, do you guys think I'm better off doing a course like one of the ones at RMIT or doing a straight law degree which could potentially give me broader options for a career in law?
Sponsored Links
Old November 12th, 2010, 06:49 PM

If you are not sure what you want in the future, get into the highest course you can get into. That way, if you change your mind later it's always, ALWAYS, easier to downgrade. Don't waste your time studying for something that will only limit your options in the future, it sounds like that's exactly what you've done. Invest your time in studying for something that will give you the most options later.

For eg, if you study to be a paralegal, that's all you'll ever be, you can never ever be a lawyer. But if you studied law, you will always have the option to be a lawyer or a paralegal, as well as a wide range of other options available to a law graduate.

From the way you are talking in your post, it really sounds like you're taking a huge risk doing those two RMIT courses you mentioned purely cos you're limiting your options.

Vic Uni has a sort of music industry link in its law degree I think, I don't know if that's changed. I recall they definitely had a Bachelor of Arts or Business with a music industry focus.

Another thing, legal studies at school is very different and less demanding from law at university.

Incidentally, why do you regret your choice at Box Hill?

Last edited by RykerNo1 : November 12th, 2010 at 07:02 PM.
Old November 12th, 2010, 07:50 PM

Thanks, I really am starting to think that a law degree would be overall better because it will ultimately give me more options.

I understand that it will be very different from legal studies but I'm fairly certain I can handle it, I'm a pretty hard worker and I find law interesting.

Whilst the box hill music business course is a fine course, I just don't really see a career in it for me anymore. All the passion I used to feel for working in the music industry has just vanished. That's the main reason. Aside from that, the course so far was very unchallenging and a bit slack.
Old November 13th, 2010, 11:52 AM

ah that sucks that being there sucked away any passion you have for the music industry.
Old November 13th, 2010, 11:54 AM

By the way, if you have the marks and you want to do law, you should really try to get into the highest rank law school you can. It makes life easier for you after your graduate. It's worth the trouble of traveling a bit further for your law degree, say to Monash, Deakin, La Trobe.
Old November 13th, 2010, 04:40 PM

Yeah I was worried about that initially, because I'm ashamed to say I've always looked down on Vic uni (till now), but I know that a law degree is a law degree and if I do well I'm sure I could get somewhere.

I'm not sure if I'd be able to get into the other Law courses. My enter wasn't quite high enough but I think monash and la trobe would decide based on my uni grades, though I'm not sure how high they need to be. I received two distinctions and two high distinctions, no idea if that's good enough...
Old November 13th, 2010, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mllebelle View Post
Yeah I was worried about that initially, because I'm ashamed to say I've always looked down on Vic uni (till now), but I know that a law degree is a law degree and if I do well I'm sure I could get somewhere.
Yes of course, a law degree is a law degree but some law degrees make life easier for you. A clear example is the Harvard Law degree - get yourself one of those and you could pretty much take your pick of where you want to go without too much effort. That's what I meant when I said it makes your life easier for you after you graduate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mllebelle View Post
I'm not sure if I'd be able to get into the other Law courses. My enter wasn't quite high enough but I think monash and la trobe would decide based on my uni grades, though I'm not sure how high they need to be. I received two distinctions and two high distinctions, no idea if that's good enough...
What uni grades are you talking about, I thought you said you hadn't been to uni before? But if you have been getting Ds and HDs, that's the kind of academic scores that'll get you into the top law schools.
Old November 13th, 2010, 06:46 PM

Yeah my music business course at Box Hill which I mentioned previously, I've just finished my first year and I have my first semester results which were the 2 D's and 2 HD's.

I've sent that proof to VTAC though I doubt I'll be able to give them second semester results in time especially considering I haven't even sat the exams yet (their next week), but I suppose I could put Monash, La Trobe, etc on top of my preference list and they can decide if the marks are worthy, ha.
Old November 13th, 2010, 06:54 PM

You've got nothing to lose for doing that. Good luck!

Neil Kennedy still there?
Old November 13th, 2010, 08:04 PM

Haha not sure, sorry..
Sponsored Links