StudyConnect.com Forum Study Connect Students       

Go Back   StudyConnect.com Forum > Australian Schools Areas of Study > OET - Occupational English Test
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old October 21st, 2010, 04:59 AM

Default OET tips

Here are some tips that may help you with your OET test.

1) Try to speak English as often as you can...its the only way you can progress and improve on grammar and sentence structure. Reverting to your mother tongue whenever there are fellow country mates can serve to derail your efforts. This is especially true when it comes to speaking...the last test. Confidence in structuring a complete sentence can only come through practice

2) Learn to search out information by gleaning through information packs. One of the OET test is a 15 minute reading test which technically does not allow you sufficient time to read all the paragraphs of information provided. The technique to ace this is to find key words in the questions and quickly scroll through the information text and identify the key word. Once you do, you will find the answer there..do not waste time wondering if this is the correct one or not...FILL IN THE BLANKS. Example - The success and survival rate for patients undergoing balloon angioplasty during a myocardial infarct is ____%. The key word is "balloon angioplasty"...go to the information/text and search for this word and you should find the data to fill in the blank. DO NOT READ THE WHOLE information/TEXT...you will have NO time after reading to do you questions!!

3) You have 1 minute before each section of a test starts...USE IT to read all the questions ahead of you. This IS doubly important for LISTENING. If you try to listen and look at the question at the same time, you will fall behind because there is only one chance to hear it...The tape of the conversation or speech is never repeated.

4) Good luck....
Sponsored Links
Old February 5th, 2011, 09:45 AM

Default any tips for writing

hi please give me some tips for writing
Old July 15th, 2011, 04:05 AM

Default hi ritu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritu patel View Post
hi please give me some tips for writing
hey hi ritu..wn r u appearing in the exam ? if u havnt appeared yet , do u mind studying with me ? am appearing in october.

goodluck !
Old July 15th, 2011, 07:20 PM

Hi
I have passed the exam in May .
Old September 14th, 2011, 02:35 AM

can anybody please guide me regarding the OET exam???
Old September 14th, 2011, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schizo View Post
Here are some tips that may help you with your OET test.

1) Try to speak English as often as you can...its the only way you can progress and improve on grammar and sentence structure. Reverting to your mother tongue whenever there are fellow country mates can serve to derail your efforts. This is especially true when it comes to speaking...the last test. Confidence in structuring a complete sentence can only come through practice

2) Learn to search out information by gleaning through information packs. One of the OET test is a 15 minute reading test which technically does not allow you sufficient time to read all the paragraphs of information provided. The technique to ace this is to find key words in the questions and quickly scroll through the information text and identify the key word. Once you do, you will find the answer there..do not waste time wondering if this is the correct one or not...FILL IN THE BLANKS. Example - The success and survival rate for patients undergoing balloon angioplasty during a myocardial infarct is ____%. The key word is "balloon angioplasty"...go to the information/text and search for this word and you should find the data to fill in the blank. DO NOT READ THE WHOLE information/TEXT...you will have NO time after reading to do you questions!!

3) You have 1 minute before each section of a test starts...USE IT to read all the questions ahead of you. This IS doubly important for LISTENING. If you try to listen and look at the question at the same time, you will fall behind because there is only one chance to hear it...The tape of the conversation or speech is never repeated.

4) Good luck....
hi..i m appearing in october can u give me some tips regarding speaking...i m frm dentistry profession...
Old September 14th, 2011, 05:13 PM

Default hi..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritu patel View Post
Hi
I have passed the exam in May .
hi do u have any material plz supply it...i am in nz avinash_24183@yahoo.com
Old September 15th, 2011, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jais View Post
hi..i m appearing in october can u give me some tips regarding speaking...i m frm dentistry profession...
Jais, Easy - The speaking component consist of a scenario: example - you are a dentist and have to inform a patient that due to some reason your patient's tooth requires some drastic interventions. You are to give the patient his options - crowning several teeth to prevent further decay and maintain function or to have dentures put in.

So with say this awkward scenario how wiill you present to the patient.

Test is looking for grammar and structure.

Give yourself a minute to think about it and structure your approach. Most of the time people fail because the jump from one context to the next and back. Shows lack of structure and organization.

So in this case, you can present it as follows -
1) Inform patient of his condition - You have advance tooth decay
2) Tell him what will happen if he does not address it now.
3) Present to him that he has options. Option one ....then option two....
4) Give him the pros and cons of each option. Crowning is expensive and lah di dah. Dentures are also expensive and may not fit if pt looses weight, therefore requiring refitting....lah di dah.
5) Give your professional opinion and why.
6) Ask patient to consider it and come back for another appointment.

In speaking the tester will ask you questions. Answer is easy because they will only test you in your area of profession...dentistry, so you should have everything down pat...lol.

Good ;luck
Old September 19th, 2011, 04:59 PM

thanks alot dear...i wanted to know is it in form of some conversation or speech type??....i came to know that oet authorities demand some certain words like reccomend is it so....??? i m preparing at home only how can i prepare...??
Old September 22nd, 2011, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jais View Post
thanks alot dear...i wanted to know is it in form of some conversation or speech type??....i came to know that oet authorities demand some certain words like reccomend is it so....??? i m preparing at home only how can i prepare...??
Would in the form of a conversation. The testeer will ask questions, playing the role of the person you would be talking to. Sometimes they will give you an urgent situation but these scenarios are only reserved for doctors and nurses. For dental and physio it would be about communicating a patient's outcome.

Good luck
Sponsored Links