StudyConnect.com Forum Study Connect Students       

Go Back   StudyConnect.com Forum > Australian Schools Areas of Study > Nursing Schools Australia Study Nursing Forum
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old July 20th, 2010, 09:05 AM

Talking Working P/T in Aged Care while studying Diploma of Nursing

Hi,

I'm finally now signed up to a Diploma of Nursing course commencing Jan 2011. At the moment I'm living in (at the moment very sunny) London working in a completely different field as a senior manager for an international company. I can't wait to arrive in Brisbane and start my course! Before coming starting my Diploma of Nursing I'm going to be studying for a Certifcate III in Aged Care Work which will hopefully get me back in to the swing of study (I'm 35 for its been a while) and help me with a little more background knowledge.

I've got a couple of questions which I'd be really grateful if you can help by answering....

1.) After completing my Certificate III Aged Care Work course and while studying for my Diploma of Nursing I'd like to work part time in the field I so look forward to working in, that being aged care. Do you think its feasible to find a jpart time job in an elderly care home or community care role while I study?
2.) Is the Certificate III Aged Care work enough to help me gain a part time position in a care home/community care role?
3.) Do you know of many male AIN/Aged Care workers - I''d be really interested in your thoughts on the role of men in this field?

Hope to hear from you and thanks for your help.

James
Sponsored Links
Old July 20th, 2010, 07:37 PM

Default Hello !

Hi James,

I am having "ZERO" experience in nursing like you. I would like to know how and where should I start if I want to do nursing in future. Can you let me know the course you have signed up for?

My name is Bee, I am 39yrs old, going to 40yrs in 2days time I was working in totall different field in industrial line and I am sick of it, I want to change my career line to nursing. I am living in Malaysia, it's difficult to study nursing at my age in Malaysia, so I am thinking to go Australia or maybe Europe or any other country which I can afford to to study nursing. I am sure you have done a lot of research before you signed up for the course. Appreciate if you could give me some advice.

Looking forward to hear from you soon.

Thanks.

Cheers,
Bee
Old July 21st, 2010, 05:44 AM

Hi Bee,

Thanks for your message.

Thankfully I guess I don't really have "ZERO" experience as I spent considerable time helping some close family with their palliative care. This is one of the things that made me so interested in a career change in nursing. I've also spent quite a bit of time reading about nursing before deciding to enrol on a course of study.

I suggest you read up on nursing, what it involves, how much it pays, and whether it really is what you are looking for. Maybe even do a couple of days free work to get a feel for it.

In regards to affordability of studying in Australia, you may be surprised at the international student fees there.

Good luck bee! I must say I exactly pleased paying such high fees but I look at it as a long term investment.

Best regards
James
Old November 30th, 2010, 05:02 PM

Bee and Moonbeam...how are you guys getting along with your application to study nursing here in Oz? Hope all is well. Cheers Schizo
Old January 1st, 2011, 03:43 AM

Default Hi

Hi Scycho,

Well I am due to start at MSIT now in July 2011. Really looking forward to starting my DoN course. It'll be a great change for me!
Hopefully after the DoN I may go on to study the Bachelor of Nursing at QUT.

I hope that the end result will be me doing what I enjoy, giving something back to the elders in our society, and also with the view to establishing a business in the aged care sector either in Australia or elsewhere.

Hopefully for me, a completely new chapter begins with plentiful opportunities, challenges, and some rejuvenation along the way!

I have to say communicating with some of the educational institutions in Australia has dreadful. Almost like the Uni's donít want the money an international student has to pay!

Cheers
Moon
Old January 17th, 2011, 10:10 AM

Good to hear that you will be off to an exciting change...all the best James.
Sponsored Links