StudyConnect.com Forum Study Connect Students       

Go Back   StudyConnect.com Forum > Study in Australia - General Topics > General talk about any topic
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old May 8th, 2010, 03:17 AM

Default what r d advantages of having a baby in australia?

We have applied 4 PR ,i want 2 know what r the advantages of having a baby born in Australia?
Sponsored Links
Old May 22nd, 2010, 06:12 PM
scattley

None - unless you are a PR when the child is born, the child will only get the citizenship of its parents - it is not an Australian (unlike the US where anyone born there is an automatic citizen regardless of the status of their parents). Having a child in Australia does not make your case any stronger for PR.
Old May 23rd, 2010, 03:31 PM

hey child born here has choice of citizenship when he becomes 18 years old unlikely his parent has citizen ship or not
Old June 15th, 2010, 07:25 PM

no. Your child will not have permanent residency and cannot apply for citizenship even if it was born in Australia, because the parents did not have pr.
Old June 16th, 2010, 01:41 PM

Talking Baby boom in Melbourne..............

Hi,
Interesting discussion. But none has mentioned any website or reading that says " If the baby born in Australia whether parents are PR or not, she has a choice of becoming a citizen." Please support your claim........if you think so.
My niece studies in Melbourn and she told me that many Indian women who are on student visa or their husbands on student visa or spouse visa. Some of those women are getting pregnant and having babies. There is a Baby boom in Melbourn because of there (mis)understanding that the babies will get citizenship after certain time. (after 9 years or 18 not sure).
Old June 16th, 2010, 02:16 PM

good ideas but not a legal one. child born in australia acquires citizenship if either of the parents is pr at the time of birth. if not the parents' visa status. once the child turns the age of ten, then only the child can claim the citizenship but the child must have been present in oz for most of the ten years.
Old June 16th, 2010, 04:47 PM

This is a law which is not very well understood and I had to look it up to make sure I was clear about it.

Here is an outline of the law:

Australian citizen by birth

Whether you are an Australian citizen by birth depends on the date of your birth.

Most children born in Australia before 20 August 1986 are Australian citizens by birth unless one parent was entitled to diplomatic privileges or was a consular officer of another country.

Children born after that date are only Australian citizens if at least one parent was an Australian citizen or permanent resident at the time of their birth.

Children born in Australia to parents who are not Australian citizens or permanent residents, automatically acquire Australian citizenship on their 10th birthday if they have lived most of their life in Australia.

http://www.citizenship.gov.au/current/

You can see the law changed in August 1986. Before that time it was like the American system, anyone born here was a citizen. Now it is changed so a baby is only a citizen if one of the parents is a permanent resident/citizen.

This is the same condition for babies born overseas. If one of the parents is a permanent resident/citizen then the baby is eligible for Australian citizenship.

As 2115sydney has stated, a child born in Australia to parents who are not permanent residents automatically acquires Australian citizenship on their 10th birthday "if they have lived most of their life in Australia".

This is only an outline so I am not sure what the actual law is and how "most of their life" or how this "automatic process" works.
Old August 10th, 2013, 10:27 AM

Default Baby citizenship

Hi everyone I hope you can help me
I am in Australia under a student visa. I am pregnant and the baby's father is Australian. I know the baby can have the Australian citizenship but the problem is he will not recognise legally the baby. I know I can make legally make him do it, but I don't want to take the things so far. Is there any way that the baby get the Australian benefits. Anyone know where can I get more information about it?

Thanks a lost
Old August 10th, 2013, 09:38 PM

Unless the father is married to you, he has to either acknowledge legally the child or the courts have to name him as father for the child to gain any rights as an Australian. Even if the child is an Australian there is no advantage to you at all. When your student visa expires you have to return to your own country - beware thought as if the child's father is involved he can prevent you from taking the child as the child having lived their life in Australia and would not be in their best interest to go with you, their mother.

So beware what you wish for.
Old October 18th, 2013, 07:23 PM

Looking at it another way what if the mother of the child is Australian and the father is not a permanent resident of Australia... surely the father has to provide child support but what are his rights regarding permanent residency in Australia to do this?
Sponsored Links