StudyConnect.com Forum Study Connect Students       

Go Back   StudyConnect.com Forum > Study in Australia - General Topics > Study in Australia - ask a question
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old December 9th, 2008, 03:02 AM

Lightbulb Scope for Master of Information management & systems (Monash, Caufield)?

A brief details about me:

I'm 25 & an engineering graduate in I.T. I have been working for the past 3 yrs in India and am planning to pursue the Master of Information Management and Systems (Rsrch) 2009 from Monash, Caufield campus. I also aim to get the PR & settle in Australia. I have the follwing queries:

1) What is the scope for this course in terms of employment opportunities in Australia? I'm interested in Business analyst/SAP consultancy etc role...

2) Is Masters in Networking/technical IT course more suitable in comparison to Information systems Masters keeping the job market in mind? One of my friends in Melborne says that there is lot of demand for Technical IT roles & that the jobs for management IT is less.

3) Should i aim for Mar session or the July session considering the current worldwide market situation?

Pls guide me with regard the above as i'm really not sure whether all the money & effort spent for the next 2-3 yrs for this course (MIMS) will be worth it or not.
Sponsored Links
Old December 13th, 2008, 07:02 AM

1/ sap is still on list of occuptation in demand http://www.studyconnect.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=10449 not sure what demand will be like now

2/ friend is right more technical job - management usually recruit from technical not from uni.

3/ nobody knows the future if someone could tell you we could make money buying shares at the right time. maybe wait off for july i suppose would be safer?
Old December 13th, 2008, 06:52 PM

Thanks kenlee I think i'll wait for the july session... moreover, most of the univ including Monash are coming for a student event in India, Delhi in feb... so i'll speak to them face to face & apply for the course after that.
Old December 13th, 2008, 07:02 PM

Also, kenlee can you please guide me in terms of entry level jobs in IT which course & from which universities are a good bet in Melbourne. Are their any entry level jobs that people get after doing Masters in Information system/Business Systems ?

I'm planning to do my masters from Monash as i beleive it has a good reputation worldwide & their rank over the years prove that they are good academically as well.

Thanks for your time kenlee... i somehow knew that you are the most likey person to take some time out to help me & others.
Old December 26th, 2008, 06:09 AM

Hi Varun,

This is Nishant from Delhi (working in Bangalore). Your situation is an exact replica of mine...even i am working in an IT industry for the past 3 yrs as a Senior Systems Analyst and pursue t become a Business Analyst / SAP Consultant.

I am eyeing for the following unis:

1. UNSW (Master of Comm.(Information Systems)
2. University of Sydney (Master of Business (IS))
3. Monash University
4. University of Melbourne

Do you mind if we can talk over the same. you can mail me on nishantgarg25@gmail.com

Thanks

Nishant
Old December 30th, 2008, 03:04 AM

Thumbs up

Hi Nishant... by the looks of it you are going for the best Univs as per the list you gave. Its a tricky situation considering Recession as Jobs will definitely reduce till end 2009. But i'm hoping it will improve by 2010-11

I'm interested in management side of IT & Masters in Infor Sys. is the course for that but my friend in Australia mentioned that Masters in Networking has more jobs in comparison to other IT fields.

I did my B.E in I.T with 66% agg from M.D university in 2001 & i've been working in Fidelity for over 3 yrs. Sadly i have been working in customer services & have almost wasted my last 3 yrs. (But i have learned a lot from my present job)
I'm looking forward to Masters from Australia as my last shot towards a career that would do justice to my B.E & obviously for a boost to my future.

I'm looking forward to meeting the University reps in a roadshow in Delhi in Feb. Will apply to the following:

UTS Sydney
Swinburne Melbourne
Monash Univ

I'm aiming for the July session. Do let me know what u think...
Old May 31st, 2009, 06:31 PM

Smile Helloooo

Hi, I'm also travelling in same boat as you guys. However, I am not sure if you have already joined the course in Feb 2009.

I did my B.Tech in CSE and working with an IT firm from past 2.5 years. Now, I have received an offer letter from Moansh for Master of Business information Systems for their July 2009 intake. However, I would be going in feb 2010 intake.

Please let me know your experience, if you have joined the course and if not when are you planning to join?

Thanks in advance !!

All the best
Old June 1st, 2009, 04:16 AM

Default @Poonam

Hi Poonam,

This is Nishant..well ur situations exactly same as mine. i still have not joined in the course. have offer letters from Monash n Melb,but planning to join in 2010. Do let m know if we can discuss this. I am available on nishantgarg25@gmail.com

- Nish
Old June 2nd, 2009, 02:21 PM

Hey Nishant, Have you applied to Monash - Master of Business Information Systems course ?? Surely I will mail you to discuss various things.

Thanks for your reply!!!!!
Old June 2nd, 2009, 05:12 PM

i have admits from the following universities:

Uni Melb: Master of Information Systems

Monash: MBISM

UNSW: Msc. Commerce (Information Systems)

still a lil confused about the choices...let me know in case u want some help

- Nish
Sponsored Links